Wednesday, November 12, 2014

Bay Scallop Gratin - Review

I'm doing that desperate sad stare into the depths of the fridge. Then the freezer.  Then the pantry. Back to the fridge. What am I going to make for dinner?

I find a small bag of bay scallops hiding underneath the zesty fries in the freezer and do a quick search on Pinterest for a recipe. The first one that comes up is The Barefoot Contessa's Bay Scallop Gratin.  Wonder of wonders, I have all the ingredients (yeah, I've got prosciutto sitting in my meat drawer - I'd have used bacon if I didn't) so I give it a whirl. 45 minutes later I am eating one fine dinner.  This one is a winner. The gratin is a little fiddly but totally worth it.

I served it, as recommended, with a salad and some crusty bread. I'm lucky to have some of dad's home-made bread on hand; it's perfect for sopping up the leftover sauce in the gratin dish.  No hints on how to change it- it's great as is.

No comments:

Post a Comment